Friday, June 26, 2009

Epic.

"If you wanna make the world a better place, take a look at yourself and make that change." --- Michael Jackson

I'm not sure how to react to his death. Shane texted me saying that the King of Pop had died.. and I just didn't believe him. Michael Jackson has been around for so long, I guess I just always assumed he was some kind of God, immortal. But as I sit here in front of my laptop and (re)watch videos of Michael Jackson and listen to a playlist of his greatest hits on repeat.. I realize, he's not dead. MJ's legacy will live forever. He is the definition of epic. Without him people like Ne-yo, Chris Brown, Usher, and countless of other artists, would be nothing. He is even the idol and inspiration of my favorite Filipino singer: Sarah Geronimo. And especially the dance world as we know it today, would not have existed if it weren't for MJ. I guess I never admit it aloud, but I really do think Michael Jackson was the greatest entertainer that ever lived, or ever will live. I've been watching his videos more carefully lately, and only now did I actually realize how much his moves inspire teams like Kaba Modern and Team Millenium.. and the great Philippine All-Stars. EVERYTHING in the performing-world that I know, traces its roots back to Michael Jackson. It's amazing.
His death also seemed really random to me.. but then again, what natural death isn't. Life really is too short. It's the most cliche thing to say, but it's the most truthful cliche thing to say. Every day, I dance like there's no tomorrow. Every day, I love like it's my last chance to love. Do you?

No comments: